Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pizza and the Homeless Man

Pray to God for His mercy.  Today was a day I did just that.  It has been a struggle trying to get the CW movement going in Tulsa.  I have a vision of what it should be in my heart and another vision in my head. And as the internal conflict continues, neither bear fruit. 

I was on the way to pick up my daughter from school, and as I figured she probably skipped lunch, I was stopping to grab her a slice of pizza on the way.  I first saw the man laying in the grass, napping kind of, but not really.  My heart, and its vision, tugged at me.  I should have stopped but traffic was crazy, I was running late, blah blah blah.  You know the excuses that were running through my head.

I pulled into the pizza place (Shout Out Pie Hole) and ordered a couple slices and some ice water to go.  As I sat and waited, who should walk in the door but the same face of Christ that I saw a few moments ago laying in the grass.  He had  dark hair and looked sun-burned.  He was missing all of his front teeth. Dirty of course.

I froze. I wish I could say I responded in a more lofty, spiritual manner, but no. I literally froze in my chair.  He looked around at me and two other people in the resturaunt with his hands outstreached.  He waited a few minutes, shook his head and then turned around and left.  Christ, hungry, left my presence unfed.  Everything I write about and everything I believe turned to hypocrisy and layed meaningless on the table in front of me.  I shut my book and prayed silently, asking God for his forgiveness.  I felt a wave of shame crash over my heart.

When I retrieved the pizza box and headed out the door,  I knew I was looking for a third chance from God for redemption.  I looked down the road and there he was, sitting a half a block away, my mercy from God waiting for me.  I handed him the box and water and he said, "Thank you. I haven't eaten anything in two or three days."  I replied, "It's only a couple slices of pizza, nothing much."  And he looked at me and said "It will be wonderful."

What I missed was the opportunity to provide for him, not just a meal, but some dignity.  I should have invited him to sit in an air conditioned building; to order what he wanted; to give of my time and my heart; to relieve some of his burden. I failed at the most important ideals in which I believe.  May God have mercy on my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment